Atlas (by Facebook) is currently working on some really exciting stuff. One of them being People-Based Remarketing.
If you don’t know how remarketing works, here’s a short summarization:
- Remarketing is the concept of targeting previous website visitors or app users.
- Remarketing is possible to perform on all major DSPs, such as Facebook Ads and Google Adwords.
So, why will Atlas upcoming features change “everything“?
- Today, remarketing is primarily cookie-based – which means it’s really difficult to identify a visitor/user cross-device.
- There are many issues with mobile cookie-based remarketing because of the presets in the mobile browsers, making cookie-based stuff difficult.
- Mobile traffic volumes are (of course) increasing continuously, making people-based remarketing constantly more relevant.
And yes, there are a big bunch of tools making similar things possible and Google have their way of making it possible to target users based on their Google accounts. Although, this is not the same. Facebook is universal in both reach and demographics – making people-based marketing (and remarketing) through Atlas really exciting.
Based on their tests, this will increase the overall remarketing opportunites with 25%. When it comes to soling out mobile, the remarketing opportunities will more than double. I must say – I believe them.
And then, there’s attribution.
Along with the enhanced possibilities with tracking people – attribution will get better.
A short recap of the issues with attribution
- Marketers wants to be able to attribute which channels and ad messages gave which conversions (and which channels helped assist these conversions).
- The problem occurs because of the lack of knowledge about users journeys from first ad interaction to finally converting.
- Since nobody knows the whole journey of a converted user, marketers are given an illusion when looking in their last-click reports (which is standard in all major channels today).
So, the combination of enhanced attribution and remarketing opportunities will be amazing. Imagine being able to visualize the true lifecycle of potential customers and customize ad messages with accurate cross-channel targeting. It might sound like something everyone is already doing, but you won’t be as close to the truth as you will come with Atlas.
Exiting times. Exciting times indeed.